A blog about my study abroad experience in Ireland

Monday, October 26, 2015

Brussels; City not Vegetable

*Disclaimer this was actually a week ago but I have very little self discipline and I just finished writing this post today.*


This weekend, three of us decided to have hop, skip, and jump over the puddle to visit Brussels, Belgium and what a great (while perhaps poorly planned) idea. Having never really even thought about going to Belgium, we didn't know much about the city and as a result began our trip by flying into an airport about an hour and a half away. The ensuing chaos included watching cabbies argue loudly in french (I think) and later discussing how we would escape the car in case our cabbie tried to kill us. These are the things that must be discussed.

Burger King the pregame meal for picky eaters the world around
We finally made it safely to our Airbnb where our wonderful hostess had provided Belgian beer and cheese and we finally got to sleep around 2 am. The next day we woke up bright and early and set out in search of Belgian Waffles. 2 hours and several hangry conversations later we sat down at a "Waffles and Churros" stand. These turned out to be the best waffles we had all weekend and due to severe hunger pains we ate them before I could get a picture but I managed to snap one the next day.
I've never had a harder time eating food in my entire life. I mean look at those forks.
We also walked the city and were amazed at the sheer beauty of Brussels. Something great I found about Brussels is that there are literally hundreds of chocolate shops and they sell delicious chocolate for pretty cheap.We took advantage of this, grabbing a few pieces of chocolate in every store ensuring that we would have a massive sugar crash on the plane (which happened).
SO MUCH CHOCOLATE
I don't want people getting the idea that all we did was eat on this trip, we walked a lot (between chocolate and waffle shops) and saw a lot of beautiful architecture and statues including Manekin Pis (the statue of the little boy peeing), and the main square (where we saw a beautiful wedding which was really just a giant party that we weren't invited to but crashed anyways).
A giant building. Probably important, definitely beautiful.
Probably my favorite part of Brussels (besides the waffles) had to be the small side streets scattered throughout the city. Most of the time you were walking through streets lined with shops and people but every now and then you would walk past a street that looked like it hadn't changed in decades.
Probably my favorite street in Brussels which I found by accidentally walking out of a fire exit in a shopping mall. 
Overall I was pleasantly surprised by all that Brussels had to offer not only in the way of food but also in regards to architecture and history. Truth be told, I would go back for the waffles alone and I probably should be embarrassed about that but I'm missing them too much to be embarrassed, so I'm going to go eat a grilled cheese and cry about it.
-Jen



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Solitary Scout | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig