A blog about my study abroad experience in Ireland

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Prague


Welcome to the second installment of three from my week long trip to Amsterdam Prague and Paris! We stayed in Prague for two nights and three days and of all the cities we went to, Prague was very surprisingly my favorite.

Now, the fact that I said Prague was "surprisingly" my favorite is not because I din't think Prague would be cool, I just never really thought about Prague before. I mean really, who daydreams all day about visiting Prague? No one but weird people (unless most of you do, then I'm the weird one). 

Not only did I change my mind about the city, I fell in love with it. The old buildings were spared from the bombings that destroyed many like them during WWII because Hitler planned on making Prague his capital city meaning most of them were built between the 11th and 18th centuries. 

We arrived in Prague on Tuesday afternoon and basically just went to find our airbnb because we have issues navigating and then got a pizza from a random hut which tasted better than it probably sounds. It was at this stop that our friend Darby met up with us, bringing our group total up to five.

The next day we went on a segway tour after reading many blogs praising them. Segways are harder to master than you would think but only for about five minutes, during which time you are 100% sure that you will fall off at any minute. While yes, I did eventually fall off (I was the only one who did because of course I was) I think I did pretty well and even managed to take pictures while driving it which all came out blurry.
Stolen from Jayden.
The confidence on my face is overwhelming.

The tour lasted around three hours giving us time to see just about everything in the city, and me to fall off dramatically once. Shortly after the tour began we came across the John Lennon Wall, which was created back when the communist government enforced strict censorship laws limiting the music and entertainment people could enjoy. The wall was originally spray painted with grievances but has changed to Lennon's lyrics and poems. The government would paint over the wall and the next day it would again be covered in lyrics and poems, eventually leading to a clash between the government and students on the nearby Charles Bridge. Today the wall is owned by the Knights of Malta who allow people to continue to graffiti it. To this day I have yet to see two pictures that look exactly the same of the wall. 
"Imagine all the people
living life in peace..."
 On our way back to our airbnb before dinner we decided it was high time to get one of the weird churro type things we had seen all night. I like to call them chimney struedals because I saw one sign out of five hundred or so that called them that and it's really the only name I can remember.
I mean the name isn't wrong.
P.S. This would look better if I hadn't just scooped out most of the whipped cream.
As delicious as those were, we needed real food so we headed off in search of the oldest pub in Prague which we never found. But we did find this cool guy who could breath fire and has crazy strong lungs. He also swallowed a two and a half foot long balloon so make of that what you will.
Not pictured: balloon
Prague was a great trip and so many more awesome things happened and I would love to spend all day talking about it but that gets boring so my last point of interest will be the Charles Bridge built by King Charles IV which was built between the 13th and 15th centuries. The bridge is lined by 30 statues and guarded by three bridge towers, one of which is considered one of the most astonishing pieces of gothic architecture in the world. This happened to be the only thing I knew about Prague and as such I was so excited to see it, excited enough that I got up the next morning and walked the thirty-five minute walk to see the sunrise on the bridge, which is where I got some of my favorite pictures.
My favorite statue, not for any good reason.
He just looks like a boss.
So to all of you who daydream about traveling, add Prague to that list... and segways. You won't regret it.
-Jen


Edit: If you are interested in following this blog please visit the link below for my bloglovin account:
<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14523707/?claim=nkndqvjy7qk">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Solitary Scout | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig